In Memory

William J. Hummel

go to bottom 
  Post Comment

08/13/10 07:27 AM #1    

Duane Calvin (Avio)

Sgt Hummel was a shift chief in the autopilot shop during the first year or so of my time at Yokota, late '69 - 70 or so.  The shifts he directed always ran smoothly under his leadership.  We all appreciated his generous hand with the schedule.

11/09/10 09:05 PM #2    

Glen Steinbach

i met sgt hummel, because my dau. sharon was taking swim lessons at the base pool and he was so impressed with her swimming ability, he invited her to join the scuba club. our family all became club members and made several diving trips with the club, what great memories. thanks to mr hummel, we met the yamaguchi's from hachioji and we are still friends. my wife joanne and i went to japan for 19 days, my son jerry who was at yakota with me as a little boy, got a job at boeing in 1987 and about 1997 he got a promotion and subsequently transferred to tokyo with his family, he couldn't believe his luck, they stayed five years and jerry is still at boeing everett, wa. plant. mr hummel was very nice easy going man, and we miss him. he opened doors for us into the japanesse culture. glen steinbach

07/13/11 09:48 PM #3    

Samuel Cash

I first met Sgt Hummel at Travis AFB. He had just completed tech school. I believe that he was 23 years old when he arrived and was very egar to work and learn all that he could. After a couple of tranfers for me we met again in 1967, I was TDY to Travis he was Staff Sergent by then and told me that he was being tranferred to Yokota. I was happy to hear this for I knew that he had the knowledge and would be a great asset to our team and for our mission at Yokota. He served on the second shift and always worked hard and would assist others to meet the one hour or two hour turnaround for the C141's. He could always be counted on to get the job done. I am glad that I had the pleasure to know him.

Samuel Cash





08/17/11 11:04 AM #4    

Larry Lowe

Bill normally work 2nd shift and I worked first shift so I didn't see him much.  But one Monday he was working Days when I came to work.  He told me that he had a real job for me.  The compass amplifier tester test lights wouldn't work and he wanted me to fix the tester.  I said ok and went to the Autopilot Shop.  The tester was all apart and the TO manual was opened to the semantic of the tester.  The lights were DC.  So I started at the power source and found that the DC stopped at a inductor used as a filter.  I carried a small jumper made from cannon plug pins in my pocket, so I jumper the filter out and the lights came on.  It probably took me about 5 minutes to find the problem.  I went back to him and asked what else he wanted me to do.  You should have see his face!!

go to top 
  Post Comment